This course aims to prepare students to:
- Communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar topics and activities.
- Describe one’s routine, work, learning experience, etc. in simple terms.
- Find specific information in simple everyday material such as personal letters and brochures.
- Write short, simple messages and fill in application forms in areas of essential need.
Aki (First) Term
Topics 1 and 2: “新しい 友だち (New Friends)” and “店で 食べる (Eating out)”
Fuyu (Second) Term
Topics 3 and 4: “沖縄旅行 (Okinawa trip)” and ”日本まつり (Japan Festival)”
Haru (Third) Term
Topics 4 and 5: ”日本まつり (Japan Festival)” and “とくべつな 日 (Special days)”
Natsu (Fourth) Term
Topics 6 and 7: ”ネットショッピング (Online shopping)” and ”れきしと 文化の 町 (A town rich in history and culture)”
If you would like to learn more about what is covered in each topic, or if you are interested in previewing the content covered in our classes, please visit the Marugoto Plus website: MARUGOTO Plus (Elementary2 A2)-Japanese Learning Site (marugotoweb.jp)
Elementary 2 Aki term
$350/term + $20 administration fee*
* New and returning students requiring a placement test will be charged a $20 non-refundable administration fee in addition to the $350 course fee when enrolling.
Please note that the course fee does not include textbooks.
Saturdays | April 29 – July 1, 2023
Taught by Yukiko Watanabe
Mondays | April 24 – June 26, 2023
Taught by Hiromi Nishimoto
In person (Seminar room)
Wednesdays | April 26 – June 28, 2023
Taught by Rika Saegusa
In person: Min. 7 / Max. 12 (classroom 1) or 14 (seminar room)
Online: Min. 7 / Max. 14
Online classes will be held via Zoom video conferencing. You can join a test meeting at https://zoom.us/test.
- a computer or laptop (operating systems: Windows 10 or 8.1 / Mac OS X 10.10 or later),
- the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge or Safari,
- headphones with a microphone,
- a web camera, and
- a stable internet connection, with at least a 1.2Mbps download speed and 600kbps upload speed. You can test your internet speed here.
Elementary 2 Textbooks $40 (Two volumes)
*Textbook varies by term as students progress through the course. Please contact J-Course administration regarding which books are currently necessary for this course.
Textbook fees will be charged at the same time as the course fees in terms requiring a new textbook.
Students can choose to receive their textbooks and supplementary materials via post or pick them up from The Japan Foundation, Sydney office.
まるごと, 日本のことばと文化. 初級2. A2, かつどう
まるごと, 日本のことばと文化. 初級2. A2, りかい
Marugoto, Japanese language and culture. Elementary 2. A2, Coursebook for communicative language activities
The Japan Foundation 2014
Marugoto, Japanese language and culture. Elementary 2. A2, Coursebook for communicative language competences
The Japan Foundation 2014