STUDENT SHORT FILM CONTEST
Video Making Tips
1. Judges’ Tips
- Pronunciation – practice well and know when one word ends and the next begins. You’ll sound more fluent and natural.
- Don’t overreach – it’s better to stick with your language abilities.
- Learn your lines – don’t read off scripts.
- Microphone – use a better one to capture quality audio or a windproof cover.
- Simple can be good – because complex stories may be too hard to convey within the limited timeframe.
- Script check – Ask your Japanese teacher or a native speaker to avoid mistakes
It is not necessary to have expensive gear. The best investment you can make if you want to make a great film, is to arm yourself with knowledge!
3. Understanding Copyright
Whenever you create something it is automatically protected as your intellectual property by copyright law. You don’t even have to register the creation for the copyright to take effect.
When you make your video, your work will be copyrighted, and no-one will be able to use it for any purpose except with your permission. But this goes for others work too, so you have to be careful not to break copyright law.
Checkout what Mayer and Bettle have to say on the topic of copyright for information and inspiration, and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license.
Remember, with a Creative Commons Licence you can decide HOW you want to let others use your work. AND you can get a cool little CC License button which matches your licence type to stick next to your work.
Due to Copyright laws, you cannot use other people’s music for your video.
You can try creating your own music. Alternatively, the internet provides as a huge resource bank of music and interesting sound effects which are free to use, sample, remix etc.
Every single image that you use for your Video Matsuri entry needs to be original, or unrestricted for your use by copyright.
Here’s a list of creative commons and royalty free sites:
5. Converting Your Files
You may need to compress your video to reduce the file size, and this can be done in just a few simple steps using online software.
Supportetd You Tube file formats can be found from HERE.