STUDENT SHORT FILM CONTEST
Video Matsuri is an online short film festival for students in primary, secondary and tertiary education in Australia and New Zealand.
Give it a try! There are no restrictions on style or theme for the film, as long as it is age appropriate. You can produce a comedy, a drama, or a documentary! Get creative, put on those acting skills, and have fun with Japanese!
- be from current Australian and New Zealand students.
- be strictly no longer than 3 minutes (including credits).
- contain mostly Japanese language script. Some English is acceptable but the script should be mostly Japanese. Please see ‘Judges’ Tips‘ for some hints about the use of Japanese.
- include the signature item of the year.
The signature item for 2023 is toothpaste (はみがきこ).
The signature item adds a little fun to the competition each year. The item should appear somewhere in the short film. It could appear somewhere as a prop, be mentioned verbally or in text on the screen, or somehow otherwise form part of the film.
- Junior Secondary (Year 7 – 10)
- Senior Secondary (Year 11 – 12)
PRIZES (FOR EACH DIVISION)
One winner from each division will be chosen, with the possibility of two in the case of a tie in one of the categories.
◇ Division winners will receive:
- 1 x engraved trophy per entry
- 1 x 12 month anime streaming voucher per entry, thanks to Crunchyroll
◇ Special Mentions/Runners up will receive:
- 1 x special mention certificate per entry
- 1 x 3 month anime streaming voucher per entry, thanks to Crunchyroll
*Please note that prizes are subject to change
PROMOTE THE CONTEST
Each year we create a PDF poster highlighting the signature item. Print it off and hang it up as inspiration to enter. Teachers/lecturers, print it out and hang it in your classroom and spread the word. The contest also makes for a great extension or assessment activity.
Download the poster using the link on the menu on the right of this page.
ENTER THE CONTEST
Upload to YouTube and complete the online form below.
Entries close: September 22, 2023
Contest results will be announced in mid November 2023
About the contest supporter Crunchyroll:
Uniting through Anime, Crunchyroll champions the art and culture of Anime to a passionate community of fans around the world. Crunchyroll is an independently operated joint venture between U.S.-based Sony Pictures Entertainment and Japan’s Aniplex, a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc., both subsidiaries of Tokyo-based Sony Group Corporation. More information: Crunchyroll – Watch Popular Anime & Read Manga Online