STUDENT SHORT FILM CONTEST
Video Matsuri is an online short film festival for students in primary, secondary and tertiary education in Australia and New Zealand.
Give it a try! There are no restrictions on style or theme for the film, as long as it is age appropriate. You can produce a comedy, a drama, or a documentary! Get creative, put on those acting skills, and have fun with Japanese!
- be from current Australian and New Zealand students.
- be strictly no longer than 3 minutes (including credits).
- contain mostly Japanese language script. Some English is acceptable but the script should be mostly Japanese. Please see ‘Judges’ Tips‘ for some hints about the use of Japanese.
- include the signature item of the year.
The signature item for 2022 is furoshiki (Japanese wrapping cloth).
The signature item adds a little fun to the competition each year. The item should appear somewhere in the short film. It could appear somewhere as a prop, be mentioned verbally or in text on the screen, or somehow otherwise form part of the film.
- Junior Secondary (Year 7 – 10)
- Senior Secondary (Year 11 – 12)
PRIZES (FOR EACH DIVISION)
One winner from each division will be chosen, with the possibility of two in the case of a tie in one of the categories.
◇ Division winners will receive:
- 1 x engraved trophy per entry
- 1 x $100 voucher from MADMAN per entry, thanks to Madman Entertainment
- 1 x anime online streaming platform subscription, thanks to Madman Entertainment
◇ Special Mentions will receive:
- 1 x special mention certificate per entry
- 1 x choice of DVD from MADMAN per entry, thanks to Madman Entertainment
PROMOTE THE CONTEST
Each year we create a PDF poster highlighting the signature item. Print it off and hang it up as inspiration to enter. Teachers/lecturers, print it out and hang it in your classroom and spread the word. The contest also makes for a great extension or assessment activity.
ENTER THE CONTEST
Upload to YouTube and complete the online form below.
Entries close: September 1, 2022
Contest results will be announced in mid November 2022