Centre Visits For Schools
COVID-19 Safety Plan for School Centre Visits (As of March 31, 2021)
Please carefully read the COVID-19 Safety Plan below to ensure you and your students are aware of the necessary safety measures during your visit. Please note the safety plan will be updated from time to time in accordance with NSW Health and Department of Education requirements.
Visiting school groups must:
- Follow guidelines set by their educational authority (e.g. state/territory Department of Education or Independent or Catholic authority) concerning excursions during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Have permission from their school principal to visit The Japan Foundation, Sydney (JPF Sydney).
It is the main teacher’s responsibility to inform JPF Sydney if any visitor(s) test positive within 2 weeks of their visit.
JPF Sydney will contact the main teacher should a COVID-19 positive case be reported on our premises on the same day of the visit. It is the main teacher’s responsibility to contact the visitor(s) at the school.
In addition, visiting school groups must adhere to the following JPF Sydney COVID-19 requirements:
- The main teacher should submit his/her name, school name and contact details at reception upon their arrival.
- Visitors who feel unwell will not be permitted to enter the JPF Sydney premises. Temperature checks will be conducted at reception before entry.
- Visitors are requested to maintain physical distancing and hygiene measures while using the staff bathroom facilities.
- Centre visits are conducted in accordance with the NSW Government guidelines on schools.
- Visitors are encouraged to bring their own water bottles.
- Visitors are recommended to wash their hands and/or use hand sanitiser frequently.
What are Centre Visits?
The Japan Foundation, Sydney offers language and culture based workshops, designed to encourage and excite students about learning Japanese. Centre Visits allow students to apply their language skills and extend their linguistic and cultural knowledge beyond the classroom environment. Centre visits are free of charge.
Who can come?
We accept groups from Years 3 to 12, of no more than 30 students.
Groups do not need to be studying the Japanese language to get the most out of this experience. Our programs can be tailored to classes looking to learn more about Japan as part of the Australian Curriculum’s cross-curriculum focus on Australia’s engagement with Asia.
Please contact us to discuss your needs.
What kinds of workshops are available?
Led by a professional Japanese language consultant, our workshops focus on Japanese culture and society and run for 1-2 hours. A wide variety of traditional and contemporary topics are available.
Where can we have lunch and recess?
Food courts are located on Level 2 (L2) and the Lower Ground (LG) level of Central Park Mall.
A number of other Japanese restaurants are located nearby.
* Please note that students are not permitted to eat or drink inside the JPF Sydney centre (water permitted).
While they’re here, students can also visit our Library and Gallery (as long as we have a current exhibition) for free.
Our Library houses more than 17,000 items, providing useful resources for teachers and students alike.
Our Gallery hosts a variety of Japan-related art exhibitions, featuring contemporary and traditional works, throughout the year.
Outside of JPF Sydney, other nearby points of interest include:
How much does it cost?
Centre Visits are free of charge.
Where is The Japan Foundation, Sydney?
Level 4, Central Park, 28 Broadway, Chippendale, NSW 2008
We are located in the new Central Park complex in Chippendale, opposite UTS. Access to Level 4 is via the lifts.
Our office is a short walk from Central Station and the Railway Square bus interchange. We strongly recommend groups to come by public transport. If you are coming by private coach, please let us know in advance.
When can we come?
Centre Visits are open every weekday, except for Australian and certain Japanese public holidays. Please contact us for booking availability.
Can we cancel our visit?
Yes, please inform us as soon as you know of any changes to your booking.