2021 Survey of Japanese Language Education
The survey has been completed. Thank you for your assistance and cooperation! The next survey is scheduled in 2024.
The Japan Foundation, Sydney would like to request assistance from all Japanese language teachers in Australia for the Survey of Japanese Language Education. Your cooperation and support would be much appreciated.
ABOUT THE SURVEY
The Japan Foundation conducts the Survey of Japanese Language Education every three years. The survey is important as it helps us gain an accurate picture of the current state of Japanese language teaching across the world. The results are frequently quoted in research papers and presentations at conferences. The data also contributes to the development of Japanese language education resources and to policy decisions and support.
You can also read about the importance of this survey in a message from The Japan Foundation.
The results of the 2018 survey can be found here
As an example of how the 2018 Survey data has been used, this is a search engine for institutions offering Japanese language education around the world.
HOW IT WORKS
● All schools, universities and other institutions teaching Japanese in Australia will receive information and instructions via email between March 1 (Tue) and March 4 (Fri) 2022.
● The survey request message will be sent out from email@example.com via The Japan Foundation’s worldwide online system. Please save this email address in advance in your safe contact list so that the message will not become lost in your junk mailbox.
● When you receive the email, please follow the instructions and complete it at your earliest convenience. The responses are due on
March 31, 2022. EXTENDED to April 8, 2022
● Depending on the level of security of your internet system, the email may end up in the junk folder or even blocked because it includes links. If you did not receive the survey request message by March 4, here are two options.
Q. What address will the email be sent to?
If a Japanese language teacher’s name and email address are already in our database, an email will be sent directly to the teacher. Otherwise, an email will be sent to the main school/institutional email address and/or the principal/headmaster.
Q. What will be asked in the survey?
The most important part of the survey is the data on how many people are currently learning Japanese and how many Japanese teachers we have in Australia. There will be other questions; some of which are mandatory to answer and others which are not.
Q. Will the survey questionnaire be in English?
The questionnaire is available in both English and Japanese.
Q. How long will it take to complete the survey?
If you have the core information (number of students and teachers), it can be completed in about 5 minutes.
Q. What if there are more than two teachers at my school?
We request only one response per school/institution. The head of the Japanese language department is usually the best person to complete the survey.
Q. I teach at more than two schools. What should I do?
Please provide us with a list of schools you are teaching via email. We will send you a survey request email for each school. Your assistance in completing each survey would be very much appreciated.
Q. What if I started teaching at a different school since the last survey in 2018?
Please let us know via email the details of your previous school and current school so that we can update contact information of both schools.
Q. I don’t want to use the online system. Is there any other way I can participate in the survey?
You can download a fillable PDF form from this website, complete it and email back the saved file to us. You can also print it out, complete it by hand, scan and return it via email, or post it to us.
Q. I have other questions which are not answered here.
Please contact us!
(02) 8239 0055
Steps for Fillable PDF Survey Response Form
- Download the PDF file to your local hard drive either in English or Japanese. Please do not fill in the form directly from the web browser such as Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc.
- Fill in the form
- Once the form is completed, save the file by the name of your school/institution.
- Please send this saved file to firstname.lastname@example.org (Please check that all your school information is filled out before sending it)