JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test)
About the JLPT
The Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) is the largest-scale Japanese language test in the world. Since 1984, The Japan Foundation and Japan Educational Exchanges and Services have continued to offer the JLPT as a reliable means of evaluating the Japanese proficiency of non-native speakers. The JLPT is widely recognised across corporate and government sectors as a benchmark for proficiency measurement, and is also a strong motivator for students of Japanese language.
• July Test: Applications closed on March 31, 2021.
• December Test: Applications closed on September 1, 2021.
Online Test Results – July 2021 JLPT
- Results for the July 2021 JLPT are online From August 23 (Mon) 10:00 (Japan time) to October 31 (Sun) 17:00 (Japan time). You need your:
- Examinee Registration Number. This is found on your Test Voucher PDF that was emailed a month prior to the Test
- 8-digit passcode. You created this on your application form. It can be viewed on the Eventbrite confirmation email that was sent immediately after you applied and paid. You can also log into your account on Eventbrite and check your ticket history and find your past JLPT order form.
Application information for the December 2021 JLPT
• All five cities are planning to conduct the Test in December (see table, subsection above).
• Applications will take place over two periods on a first-come first-served basis:
1. Regular application period: July 20 (Tue) 9am AEST to August 25 (Wed) 5pm AEST.
– The number of spaces (per level, per venue) will be limited.
– Applications will only be accepted from those residing in the same state as the Test venue.
– Applications from interstate will be cancelled (the $85 or $95 Test fee will be refunded). Interstate applicants should instead wait and see if they will be allowed to apply in the “Additional application period”.
– Cancellation and refund of the Test fee is permitted only if a request is received by the close of this period.
2. Additional application period: August 30 (Mon) 9am AEST to September 1 (Wed) 5pm AEST
– Applicants may be located in any state and apply to any Test location.
– Applications from the same state will still be accepted.
– First-come first-served basis.
– No cancellation, refund or change of Test level / location will be allowed
• Maximum application capacities for the “Additional application period” are shown in the following table. Full information is contained in the December 2021 Test Guide.
QCE Credit Points Notice
QLD applicants undertaking the QCE should be aware that from and including the December 2021 JLPT, they may not be able to receive QCE credit points by passing N5 or N4. The notification on whether or not the scheme continues will be posted on this website later this year, but probably after the application period for the December Test has concluded.
- N1, N2 and N3 ⇒ $95 Test fee + $6.31 Eventbrite booking fee.
- N4 and N5 ⇒ $85 Test fee + $5.76 Eventbrite booking fee.
All prices are inclusive of GST.
The Eventbrite booking fee is non-refundable.
The Test Guide is mandatory reading
- Australia-specific information is at the beginning, on pages (i – vi).
- Contains useful information about dates, procedure, sections, scoring, expected timing, how to fill in answer sheets, etc.
- Photograph submission and paper applications are not necessary. The JLPT in Australia accepts online applications only. Postal applications are not allowed.
Special Testing Accommodations (STA)
STA application process:
- Read the Test Guide and the instruction for requesting STA document carefully before applying for STA.
- Complete JLPT registration with selecting YES to STA.
- Obtain medical certificates to support your STA application.
- Submit the completed STA application form with medical certificates to The Japan Foundation, Sydney via Email by STA application deadline. Submission email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
STA submission deadline:
- For the applicants who registered JLPT during the regular application period (July 20, 2021-August 25, 2021), please submit ALL of your STA documents by 5pm (AEST) Aug 25, 2021.
- For the applicants who registered JLPT during the additional application period (August 30, 2021-Septemper 1, 2021), please submit ALL of your STA documents by 5pm (AEST) Sep 1, 2021.
- There is no assurance that your STA request will be granted.
- If an applicant fails to complete the STA procedure by the deadline, or if the STA request is unsuccessful, the applicant is still be allowed to attempt the Test under the same regular conditions as other examinees.
- Strictly no late submissions will be accepted.