JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test)
About The JLPT
The Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) is the largest-scale Japanese language test in the world. Since 1984, The Japan Foundation and Japan Educational Exchanges and Services have continued to offer the JLPT as a reliable means of evaluating the Japanese proficiency of non-native speakers. The JLPT is widely recognised across corporate and government sectors as a benchmark for proficiency measurement, and is also a strong motivator for students of Japanese language.
Brisbane will not be offering the test this July. Canberra will be the only city to offer the July JLPT in 2023 in Australia.
• July Test: Typically anounced from mid/late January and application commences shortly after.
• December Test: Typically announced from early July and application commences shortly after.
Notice: December JLPT In Melbourne (2023)
We are happy to announce that Monash University has become the new host institution in Melbourne. Their contact information can be found in the host institution list here.
We also want to gratefully acknowledge that RMIT have been tireless and dedicated in their handling of past tests in Melbourne (until 2022).
Online Results – July 2023 JLPT
Online results will be available from 10am (Japan time) August 21 until 5pm (Japan time) October 31, 2023.
You will need your:
• Examinee Registration Number. This is found on your Test Voucher PDF that was emailed a month prior to the Test
• 8-digit passcode. You created this on your application form. It can be viewed on the Eventbrite confirmation email that was sent immediately after you applied and paid. You can also log into your account on Eventbrite and check your ticket history and find your past JLPT order form.
Postal Address Corrections
Postage of result certificate(s) commences September/October.
For postal address corrections: notify your Host Institution as soon as possible and at least 7 days before the result certificate(s) are posted.
- Test date: December 3 (Sun), 2023.
- Test Vouchers will be sent to examinees by EMAIL approximately 1 month before the Test. Please wait until November 8 (Wed) before contacting (jlpt_sy (at) jpf.go.jp) regarding missing Vouchers.
- Applications for the December JLPT in Australia have closed. No further applications will be accepted.
- N1, N2 and N3 ⇒ $95 Test fee + $6.90 Eventbrite booking fee.
- N4 and N5 ⇒ $85 Test fee + $6.31 Eventbrite booking fee.
All prices are inclusive of GST.
The Eventbrite booking fee is non-refundable.
The Test Guide Is Mandatory Reading
- Australia-specific information is at the beginning, on pages (i – vi).
- Contains useful information about dates, procedure, sections, scoring, expected timing, how to fill in answer sheets, etc.
- Photograph submission and paper applications are not necessary. The JLPT in Australia accepts online applications only. Postal applications are not allowed.
Special Testing Accommodations (STA) application process
Applicants with an impairment or disability may request STA.
1. Read the Test Guide and the instructions for requesting STA carefully before applying for STA.
2. Complete JLPT registration and select YES to the STA question in the registration form.
3. Obtain medical certificates to support your STA application.
4. Submit the completed STA application form with medical certificates to The Japan Foundation, Sydney via email by the STA application deadline. Submission email address: jlpt_sy (at) jpf.go.jp
STA application deadline: September 7 (Thu) 5pm AEST.
More information and STA application forms are available from the button below.