JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test)
About the JLPT
The Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) is the largest-scale Japanese language test in the world. Since 1984, the Japan Foundation and Japan Educational Exchanges and Services have continued to offer the JLPT as a reliable means of evaluating the Japanese proficiency of non-native speakers. The JLPT is widely recognised across corporate and government sectors as a benchmark for proficiency measurement, and is also a strong motivator for students of Japanese language.
• July Test: Please check this page for details in late January – early February
• December Test: Please check this page for details in middle July – early August
The application period usually lasts around four or five weeks.
Note: Due to COVID-19 measures, special application conditions and procedure may be imposed. Please check the Test Guide.
- N1, N2 and N3 ⇒ $95 Test fee + $6.31 Eventbrite booking fee.
- N4 and N5 ⇒ $85 Test fee + $5.76 Eventbrite booking fee.
All prices are inclusive of GST.
The Eventbrite booking fee is non-refundable.
The Test Guide is mandatory reading
- Australia-specific information is at the beginning, on pages (i – iv).
- Contains useful information about dates, procedure, sections, scoring, expected timing, how to fill in answer sheets, etc.
- Disregard references to photograph submission and paper applications. The JLPT in Australia accepts online applications only. Paper or postal applications are not allowed.
Online Test Results and Information from the 2020 December JLPT
- Examinees who took the Test overseas, except for South Korea, China, Macau, and Taiwan, are able to view their Test results online on a dedicated website from January 25 (Mon), 10am to March 31 (Wed), 5 pm – all times in JST.
You will need your Examinee Registration Number and 8-digit passcode.
1. The registration number is found on your Test Voucher
2. You created your own passcode on your application form. It can be viewed on the Eventbrite confirmation email that was sent immediately after you applied and paid. You can also log into your account on Eventbrite and read your own passcode from your copy of past event ticket order forms.
- Test Voucher
Was sent by EMAIL on November 12 or 13.
- Amendment of examinee details
Contact the local Host Institution and The Japan Foundation, Sydney (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible to amend personal details supplied at the time of application. Any self-amendments to the online application form, after the application deadline, are disregarded.
- Postal address corrections
Notify your Host Institution as soon as possible and at least 7 days before the result certificate(s) are posted.
Special Testing Accommodations (STA)
- Applicants with an impairment or disability may request STA.
- Registration and payment for the JLPT must be completed first.
- There is a specific question on the application form regarding STA and affected applicants should select “Yes, I need STA…” as the answer.
- After application is complete, additional STA forms must be downloaded from the link on this page.
- Read “Instruction for requesting STA” carefully.
- Prepare your medical certificate/s to support your STA request.
- Complete “Requesting form for STA”.
- Send 6. & 7. to email@example.com by October 7, 2020 (Wed).
**Strictly NO late submissions will be accepted**
STA applications are now closed.
(02) 8239 0055