J-Course: Terms and Conditions 2019
Table of Contents
- Enrolment requirements
- Course structure
- Course Materials
- Cancellations and refunds
- Course and class transfers
- Substitute classes
- Students must be aged 18 and over.
- J-Course is a service offered to paid members of The Japan Foundation, Sydney with the exception of the 10 Week Taster course which is open to the general public. Applicants may enrol before becoming members, but must be current members when their first class commences. The Japan Foundation, Sydney reserves the right to cancel the enrolment of students who do not hold current membership, including in cases where membership has expired.
- To ensure placement in a suitable course, new and returning students are required to complete a placement test consisting of a written test and a mini-interview prior to their enrolment, with the exception of first-term enrolments in the Starter and 10 Week Taster courses, which are suitable for absolute beginners, as well as any students determined by J-Course to not require a placement test.
- Some courses require a pass mark to advance to the next level course. All Term 4 Elementary 1, Pre-Intermediate and Intermediate 2 students wishing to enrol in Term 1 of the Elementary 2, Intermediate 1 and Advanced courses respectively must obtain at least 60% on their written achievement test in week 10.
- All Standard courses are defined as one-year courses made up of four terms.
- The 10 Week Taster course is a special single term short course.
- J-Course terms are ten weeks in duration. Classes are held once per week for a period of two hours.
- In all Standard courses, a written and spoken achievement test will be conducted in Week 10 each term in place of a regular class.
- Applications and payments are processed each term.
- J-Course classes are not held on designated New South Wales public holidays. In the event classes fall on such public holidays, these classes will be moved to the Friday of the same week.
Course fees are as below:
Course fees are $350 per term
- Students enrolling in the first term of the Starter course, and other students requiring a placement test will be charged a $20 non-refundable administration fee in addition to the $350 course fee when enrolling. Please note that the administration fee is distinct from The Japan Foundation, Sydney membership fee ($25).
- Textbook fees and The Japan Foundation, Sydney membership fees are not included in course fees or the administration fee, and will be charged separately if required.
- Applicable textbook fees will be charged along with course fees at the time of enrolment, with the exception of the Advanced and Upper Advanced courses which do not have regular set textbooks.
- Textbook fees will be charged only for terms where new textbooks are required for the enrolled course.
- In cases where students are absent, J-Course materials provided in class can be collected before or after the class the student is unable to attend. The Japan Foundation, Sydney does not distribute these course materials digitally.
- Students will receive enrolment and payment details via email.
- Payments can be made online, or in person with credit card or cash. Bank transfer via invoice is available on request.
- A student’s enrolment in a course is confirmed once full payment and online application have been received.
- Incremental course payments will not be accepted.
- Students enrolling after term has started will be charged for the remaining classes that term, calculated from the date they submit their application.
- Course fees cannot be transferred to another term or another student.
Cancellations and refunds
- Courses or classes may be cancelled if enrolments do not reach the minimum number. In the event that a course is cancelled for this reason, students already enrolled in the course will be notified prior to the scheduled commencement date and any course fees that have been paid will be refunded.
- Enrolments submitted after the class has reached maximum capacity may be cancelled. In this case, any course fees that have been paid will be refunded.
- In cases where class is cancelled due to circumstances beyond our control, students will be offered a substitute class or a full refund for that week, to be determined by The Japan Foundation, Sydney.
- Students may cancel their enrolment up to one week before the first class of the term for the enrolled course. Students are required to notify J-Course via email in order to cancel their enrolment. Course fees will be refunded minus a cancellation fee of $50.
- Students who wish to cancel their enrolment after the above cancellation deadline due to circumstances beyond their control are eligible to receive a refund equal to 50% of any remaining course fees. Students are required to notify J-Course via email in order to cancel their enrolment. The amount refundable is calculated from the date that J-Course receives notification of the student’s cancellation request via email.
- No refunds are given for classes missed by the student.
Course and class transfers
- Students transferring (permanently changing) to a different course or class after the first two weeks of term will incur a transfer fee of $50. Transfers made within the first two weeks do not incur a fee. Course and class transfers can only be accommodated when the requested alternate course or class has available places.
- Requests to transfer to a different course or class must be submitted via e-mail to J-Course.
- In cases where students are unable to join their enrolled class in on a particular date, they may be entitled to attend a substitute class instead.
- Substitute classes are only available for courses that run more than two classes in the same class week and can only be taken within the same week as the original class. Requests for a substitute class cannot be guaranteed due to limited places in each class.
- Each student is permitted to request up to four substitute classes per term.
- Requests are accepted via the substitute class form on the Student Portal website or via email to J-Course. Students should include their name, course level, regular class time, and date and time of their preferred substitute class when contacting J-Course via email with a substitute class request.
- Requests to attend a substitute class must be sent at least two hours before your regular class commences, or at least two hours before your substitute class commences, whichever comes first. Requests will not be accepted if received after this time.
- Substitute classes are not approved until a confirmation email is received from J-Course. This confirmation email will be sent at least two hours before your substitute class. If you do not receive this email confirmation, please contact J-Course.
- Students must inform J-Course via email if they are no longer able to attend a substitute class. Substitute classes will be counted even if students are absent in cases where a notice of cancellation is not received before your substitute class commences.
- The Japan Foundation, Sydney reserves the right to change teachers and classrooms during term. Students will be informed of any such changes in advance via email.
- The Japan Foundation, Sydney reserves the right to cancel the enrolment of students who are disruptive in class.
- J-Course can be contacted via email at jcourse(A)jpf.org.au or on 02 8239 005
Updated: November 28, 2019