Upper Advanced Course (B2-2)
Note: This course is the final level of the J-Course series, and prepares students to proceed with self-driven Japanese study upon graduation.
On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand extended speech and lectures and follow even complex lines of argument provided the topic is reasonably familiar.
- Understand most TV news and current affairs programmes.
- Read articles and reports concerned with contemporary problems in which the writers adopt particular attitudes or viewpoints.
- Present clear, detailed descriptions on a wide range of subjects related to one’s field of interest.
- Take an active part in discussion in familiar contexts, accounting for and sustaining one’s views.
- Write an essay or report, passing on information or giving reasons in support of or against a particular point of view.
The goal of the Upper Advanced course is to help students reach a professional level of proficiency with their Japanese. The course materials will all be “raw resources,” like news videos and articles, reports, lectures, literature, and more. We will use Japanese to understand a wide range of topics pertaining to the society and culture of Japan and the wider world. Then, we’ll examine these topics from various perspectives, using classroom activities ranging from casual chats and dialogues to discussions. We will focus on developing both speaking and writing skills, while being conscious of their structure, in order to express your own thoughts and opinions, both accurately and in detail. We will also cover strategies to make the best use of your Japanese, and how to use different styles of Japanese based on the situation and your relationship to the people involved.
Term 3, 2022 Topics:
- Eating habits x Technology Eating and the kitchen’s role
- Free time and entertainment x Lifestyle and life Worlds born from words
The following topics were covered in Term 2 of 2022:
- Language and culture x Shopping Japan’s culture that crossed the sea
- Work and career Prefectural power
- 食生活 × 科学技術 「食べることと台所の役割」
- 自由時間と娯楽 × 生活と人生「ことばが生む世界」
- 言語と文化 × 買い物 「海を渡る日本の文化」
- 社会 × 仕事と職業 「地方のチカラ」
Course Details in Term 3
$350/term + $20 administration fee*
* New and returning students requiring a placement test will be charged a $20 non-refundable administration fee in addition to the $350 course fee when enrolling.
Please note that the course fee does not include textbooks.
6pm – 8pm
Mondays | July 18 – September 19, 2022
Taught by Keiko Nishiyama
Min: 7 / Max: 14 participants
* In the case where enrolments do not reach the minimum number of 7 people, the class may be cancelled.
To apply for the Upper Advanced course, please email the J-Course team directly at jcourse(a)jpf.org.au, and include details of your Japanese language level. Please note that you will be required to take a level check test, which will be organised as soon as possible.
Online classes will be held via Zoom video conferencing. You can join a test meeting at https://zoom.us/test.
- a computer or laptop (operating systems: Windows 10 or 8.1 / Mac OS X 10.10 or later),
- the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge or Safari,
- headphones with a microphone,
- a web camera, and
- a stable internet connection, with at least a 1.2Mbps download speed and 600kbps upload speed. You can test your internet speed here.
Please note that there is no set textbook for this course. Learning materials will be provided in class.