Upper Advanced Course (B2-2)
The Upper Advanced Course aims to comprehensively develop students’ speaking, reading, listening and writing skills that they have developed so far in their Japanese study, and enable them to use more sophisticated and natural Japanese. You will discuss current affairs featuring in newspapers and TV news, as well as gain appreciation of the language through materials such as film and literature. Furthermore, you will develop the skills to comprehend technical and academic passages written in Japanese, and refine their ability to use Japanese with colleagues in the workplace, both in verbal and written interactions such as email.
The Upper Advanced Course corresponds to N1 level.
On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Read a short story and understand the events and the motives for the characters’ actions.
- Express their ideas and opinions with precision, present and respond to complex lines of argument.
- Write clear, detailed texts on a variety of subjects related to their field of interest while synthesising and evaluating information and arguments from a number of sources.
- Use the language fluently, accurately and effectively on a wide range of topics, marking clearly the relationships between ideas.
- Understand most TV news and current affairs programmes.
Term 4 Topics:
- Reading about “Now” in Japan
＊ Analysis and discussion on current affairs in Japan
＊ Contrasting the systems of politics and media in Japan and Australia
- The cultural climate of Japan
＊ Reading travel journals from popular blogs
＊ Travel memoir – writing a travel journal
＊ Ethnic minorities in Japan and their languages
＊ Film viewing
- Brush-up on grammar and Kanji
*The following topics have been covered in Term 1 and Term 2
- Japanese people and their laughter
- Watching and analyzing comedies
- The menace of Artificial Intelligence
- Discussing pros and cons of robots
- Leprosy and Japan
Reading the novel An by Dorian Sukegawa
Viewing the film An and writing a film review
- Analysis of popular Japanese blogs
- Examination of the 60’s
Film viewing of Elegant Beast by Yuzo Kawashima
＊ 思い出の旅行 － 旅行記を書く
- 文法と漢字 ブラッシュアップ
- 「笑いと日本人」 コメディの視聴と分析
- 「ＡＩの脅威」 ＡＩ・ロボットの両義性を討論
Course Details (Term 4)
$375/term: New students
$350/term: Continuing students
Course fee includes materials.
Mondays | October 8 – December 10, 2018
Taught by Shoko Ono
Venue: The Library at The Japan Foundation, Sydney
Min: 7 / Max: 10 participants
* In the case where enrolments do not reach the minimum number of 7 people, the class may be cancelled.
To apply for the Upper Advanced course, please email the J-Course team directly at jcourse(a)jpf.org.au, and include details of your Japanese language level. Please note that you will be required to take a level check test, which will be organised as soon as possible.
There is no textbook for this course.