How old do I have to be to join J-Course?
You must be at least 18 years old.
When are the classes?
Evening classes run Mondays to Fridays from 6pm – 8pm. Morning classes run on Saturdays and selected weekdays from 10am – 12pm. Afternoon classes run on Saturdays from 1pm – 3pm.
For class days and times, please refer to the individual course pages found here.
How much are the classes?
- $375/ term: new students
- $350/ term: continuing students
Course fee does not include textbooks.
You will be charged the textbook fee, according to your course level, along with the course fee when enrolling for the first time. Textbook fees are listed on the individual course level pages.
Note: The Advanced course and the Upper Advanced course use different textbooks which may be sourced online or in selected bookstores. Additional materials will be provided in class.
More details are available on the general information page.
Can I cancel my course?
You may cancel their enrolment up to one week before the first class of the term for your enrolled course. You are required to notify the J-Course Team via email in order to cancel their enrolment. Course fees will be refunded minus a cancellation fee of $50.
Can I get a refund?
If you wish to cancel your enrolment after the above cancellation deadline due to circumstances beyond your control, you are eligible to receive a refund equal to 50% of any remaining course fees. You are required to notify the J-Course Team via email in order to cancel your enrolment. The amount refundable is calculated from the date that the J-Course Team receives notification of your cancellation request via email.
Can I change my course/class after it has started?
Yes, if your teacher approves the change and if there are places available in your new class of choice. Please contact jcourse(A)jpf.org.au link on the right sidebar first.
* Please note that a $50 administration fee will be charged for changes made after the first two weeks of term.
What happens if I cannot attend a class?
Substitute classes are available for courses that run more than 2 classes in the same class week.
Here is how to request a substitute:
- Send an email to J-Course to request attendance in the alternative class.
- For an evening course, do this by 2pm on the day of the class. For a morning course and an afternoon class, do this by 2pm on the day before the class.
- Receive confirmation from us.
- You cannot join a substitute class without an email confirmation from the J-Course Team.
- As places are limited, we cannot always guarantee you a place in a substitute class.
- Each participant is permitted to request up to 4 substitute classes per term.
Is there a certificate once I complete the course?
If you have attended at least 80% of the classes in a term, you will receive a certificate of attendance at the end of the term.
If you are interested in an official certification of your Japanese language proficiency, please visit the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) website by clicking here.
2019 TERM DATES
Term 1: Feb 4 – Apr 13
Term 2: Apr 29 – Jul 6
Term 3: Jul 22 – Sep 28
Term 4: Oct 7 – Dec 14
* J-Course terms run for 10 weeks each. As Monday, 10 June and 7 October are NSW public holidays, class will not run on these days but will be held instead on Friday, 15 June and 11 October respectively.
Photo: Brett Boardman