Intermediate 1 Course (B1-1)
This is a one year course consisting of 4 terms of 10 weeks.
On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Enter spontaneous conversations on topics that are familiar, of personal interest or pertinent to everyday life (e.g. myself, hobbies, food, travel and current events).
- Understand the description of daily events, feelings and wishes that appear in personal or informal texts.
- Understand the main points of clear standard speech on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, including speech heard on media such as radio, TV programmes, etc.
- Write straightforward, cohesive texts on topics that are familiar, or of personal interest.
- Connect simple phrases to describe experiences and past events, dreams, hopes and ambitions, and state clear reasons and explanations related to one’s opinions and plans.
In the Intermediate 1 course, we aim to cover Topics 7 – 9 of the textbook “Marugoto: Japanese Language and Culture (Pre-Intermediate A2/B1)” and Topics 1 – 6 of the textbook “Marugoto: Japanese Language and Culture (Intermediate 1, B1)”.
Topics 7 – 9: “Taking about personal problems”, “Problems when travelling” and “Looking for a job” (Pre-Intermediate A2/B1 Textbook)
Topics 1 and 2: “Meeting people for the first time” and “Food I recommend” (Intermediate 1 B1 Textbook)
Topics 3 and 4: “My favourite music” and “Let’s go to a hot spring!”
Topics 5 and 6: “How have you been lately?” and “Let’s read manga”
Course Details in Term 1
$350/term + $20 administration fee*
* New and returning students requiring a placement test will be charged a $20 non-refundable administration fee in addition to the $350 course fee when enrolling.
Please note that the course fee does not include textbooks.
Mondays | January 25 – March 29, 2021
Taught by Yukiko Watanabe
Wednesdays | January 27 – March 31, 2021
Taught by Kaoru Murn
Classes will be held online in Term 1, 2021.
- a computer or laptop (operating systems: Windows 10 or 8.1 / Mac OS X 10.10 or later),
- the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge or Safari,
- headphones with a microphone,
- a web camera, and
- a stable internet connection, with at least a 1.2Mbps download speed and 600kbps upload speed. You can test your internet speed here.
Pre-Intermediate Textbook $30 (One volume)
Intermediate 1 Textbook $40 (One volume)
Textbook fees will be charged at the same time as the course fees in terms requiring a new textbook.
Students can choose to receive their textbooks and supplementary materials via post or pick them up from The Japan Foundation, Sydney office.
まるごと, 日本のことばと文化. 初中級. A2/B1
Marugoto, Japanese language and culture. Pre-Intermediate. A2/B1
The Japan Foundation 2015
Terms 2 – 4
まるごと, 日本のことばと文化. 中級1. B1.
Marugoto, Japanese language and culture. Intermediate. B1
The Japan Foundation
Published by Sanshusha