This course aims to prepare students to:
- Enter spontaneous conversations on topics that are familiar, of personal interest or pertinent to everyday life (e.g. hobbies, health, news, travel and historical events).
- Understand articles and reports concerned with contemporary problems in which the writers adopt particular stances or viewpoints.
- Develop a clear argument, expanding and supporting their points of view at some length with subsidiary points and relevant examples.
- Understand the main points of clear, standard speech on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, including speech heard on media such as radio, TV programmes, etc.
- Write and give their e-mail and internet forum information on familiar routine and non-routine matters within their field.
Aki (First) Term
Topic 9 (Marugoto Intermediate 1) and Topic 1 (Marugoto Intermediate 2): “伝統的な祭り (Traditional festivals)” and ”どんな人？ (What kind of person are they?)”
Fuyu (Second) Term
Topics 2 and 3: “富士登山 (Climbing Mount Fuji)” and ”健康的な生活 (Healthy living)”
Haru (Third) Term
Topics 4 and 5: ”舞台を見るなら (If you’re going to see a play, …)” and “身近なニュース (Local news)”
Natsu (Fourth) Term
Topics 6 and 7: ”これが欲しい！ (I want this!)” and ”お気に入りの映画 (My favourite film)”
Intermediate 2 Natsu Term
$350/term + $20 administration fee*
* New and returning students requiring a placement test will be charged a $20 non-refundable administration fee in addition to the $350 course fee when enrolling.
Please note that the course fee does not include textbooks.
Tuesdays | January 16 – March 19, 2024
Taught by Yukiko Watanabe
Thursdays | January 18 – March 21, 2024
Taught by Hiromi Nishimoto
Online: Min. 7 / Max. 14
Online classes will be held via Zoom video conferencing. You can join a test meeting at https://zoom.us/test.
- a computer or laptop (operating systems: Windows 10 or 8.1 / Mac OS X 10.10 or later),
- the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge or Safari,
- headphones with a microphone,
- a web camera, and
- a stable internet connection, with at least a 1.2Mbps download speed and 600kbps upload speed. You can test your internet speed here.
Intermediate 1 (B1): $40 (One volume)
Intermediate 2 (B2): $40 (One volume)
*Textbook varies by term as students progress through the course. Please contact J-Course administration regarding which books are currently necessary for the course.
Textbook fees will be charged at the same time as the course fees in terms requiring a new textbook.
Students can choose to receive their textbook and supplementary materials via post or pick them up from The Japan Foundation, Sydney office.
まるごと, 日本のことばと文化. 中級2. B1.
Marugoto, Japanese language and culture. Intermediate 2. B1
The Japan Foundation