This course aims to prepare students to:
- Enter spontaneous conversations on topics that are familiar, of personal interest or pertinent to everyday life (e.g. myself, hobbies, food, travel and current events).
- Understand the description of daily events, feelings and wishes that appear in personal or informal texts.
- Understand the main points of clear standard speech on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, including speech heard on media such as radio, TV programmes, etc.
- Write straightforward, cohesive texts on topics that are familiar, or of personal interest.
- Connect simple phrases to describe experiences and past events, dreams, hopes and ambitions, and state clear reasons and explanations related to one’s opinions and plans.
Aki (First) Term
Topics 8, 9 and Original topic: ”旅行中のトラブル (Problems when travelling)”, “仕事をさがす (Looking for a job)” and ”おすすめの飲食店・おすすめのメニュー (Recommended eatery and menu)
Fuyu (Second) Term
Topics 1 and 2 (Marugoto Intermediate 1): “はじめての人と (Meeting people for the first time)” and ”おすすめの料理 (Food recommend)”
Haru (Third) Term
Topics 3 and 4: ”私の好きな音楽 (My favourite music)” and “温泉に行こう (Let’s go to a hot spring!)”
Natsu (Fourth) Term
Topics 5 and 6: ”最近どう？ (How have you been lately?)” and ”マンガを読もう (Let’s read manga)”
Intermediate 1 Natsu Term
$350/term + $20 administration fee*
* New and returning students requiring a placement test will be charged a $20 non-refundable administration fee in addition to the $350 course fee when enrolling.
Please note that the course fee does not include textbooks.
Saturdays | January 20 – March 23, 2024
Taught by Keiko Nishiyama
Wednesdays | January 17 – March 20, 2024
Taught by Kaoru Murn
In person (Seminar room)
In person: Min. 7 / Max. 12 (classroom 1) or 14 (seminar room)
Online: Min. 7 / Max. 14
Online classes will be held via Zoom video conferencing. You can join a test meeting at https://zoom.us/test.
- a computer or laptop (operating systems: Windows 10 or 8.1 / Mac OS X 10.10 or later),
- the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge or Safari,
- headphones with a microphone,
- a web camera, and
- a stable internet connection, with at least a 1.2Mbps download speed and 600kbps upload speed. You can test your internet speed here.
Pre-Intermediate Textbook $30 (One volume)
Intermediate 1 Textbook $40 (One volume)
*Textbook varies by term as students progress through the course. Please contact J-Course administration regarding which books are currently necessary for this course.
Textbook fees will be charged at the same time as the course fees in terms requiring a new textbook.
Students can choose to receive their textbooks and supplementary materials via post or pick them up from The Japan Foundation, Sydney office.
まるごと, 日本のことばと文化. 中級1. B1.
Marugoto, Japanese language and culture. Intermediate 1. B1
The Japan Foundation
Published by Sanshusha