Advanced Course (B2-1)
The Advanced Course aims to develop smoother communication skills in Japanese while building students’ understanding of Japanese culture and appropriate uses of Japanese in a variety of situations.
Join us and take a step closer toward becoming an advanced Japanese speaker!
In Term 1 of the Advanced Course, we aim to cover Topics 8 – 9 of the textbook “Marugoto: Japanese Language and Culture (Intermediate 2, B1)”.
Topic 8: “Forms of transport in my town” (Intermediate 2 B1 Textbook)
Topic 9: “The age of ninja and samurai” (Intermediate 2 B1 Textbook)
In Terms 2 to 4 of the Advanced Course, you will learn vocabulary and expressions applicable to selected topics, using learning resources based on topical issues and news in Japanese society. Furthermore, you will develop the skills to use Japanese appropriately in both formal and informal scenarios, as well as express your own thoughts about different subjects.
On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Scan quickly through long and complex texts, locating relevant details.
- Express their ideas and opinions with precision, and present and respond to complex lines of argument convincingly.
- Write clear, detailed texts on a variety of subjects related to their field of interest while synthesising and evaluating information and arguments from a number of sources.
- Summarise a wide range of factual and imaginative texts, commenting on and discussing contrasting points of view and the main themes
- Understand documentaries and the majority of films in standard dialect.
Term 4, 2021 Topics:
- Shopping Resolving online shopping issues
- School and Education Japanese education and the future
- Travel and transportation 2 Tourism post-corona
The following topics were covered in Terms 2 and 3, 2021:
- Society Industries in Japan and the New Normal with COVID-19
- Language and culture 2 Festivals and cultural inheritance
- Work and profession Changing business manner
- Food and diet History of Japanese cuisine
- Life Consultation on life
- Free time and entertainment Interpreting Art
- 買い物 「オンラインショッピングのトラブル解決」
- 学校と教育 「日本の教育と未来」
- 旅行と交通２ 「ポストコロナの観光 」
- 食生活 「和食の歴史」
- 生活と人生 「人生相談 」
- 言語と文化２ 「アートを解釈する」
- 社会 「日本の産業とウィズコロナ」
- 言語と文化２ 「祭りと文化の継承 」
- 仕事と職業 「変わる？ビジネスマナー」
Course Details in Term 4
$350/term + $20 administration fee*
* Students enrolling in the first term of the Starter course, and other new and returning students requiring a placement test will be charged a $20 non-refundable administration fee in addition to the $350 course fee when enrolling.
Please note that the course fee does not include textbooks.
Thursdays | October 7 – December 9, 2021
Taught by Keiko Nishiyama
To apply for the Advanced course, please email the J-Course team directly at jcourse(a)jpf.org.au, and include details of your Japanese language level. Please note that you will be required to take a level check test, which will be organised as soon as possible.
Classes will be held online until further notice via Zoom video conferencing. You can join a test meeting at https://zoom.us/test.
- a computer or laptop (operating systems: Windows 10 or 8.1 / Mac OS X 10.10 or later),
- the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge or Safari,
- headphones with a microphone,
- a web camera, and
- a stable internet connection, with at least a 1.2Mbps download speed and 600kbps upload speed. You can test your internet speed here.
Intermediate 2 Textbook $40 (One volume)
Textbook fees will be charged at the same time as the course fees in terms requiring a new textbook.
Students can choose to receive their textbook and supplementary materials via post or pick them up from The Japan Foundation, Sydney office.
まるごと, 日本のことばと文化. 中級2. B1.
Marugoto, Japanese language and culture. Intermediate 2. B1
The Japan Foundation
Terms 2 – 4
No prescribed textbook. Learning materials will be provided in class.