Advanced Course (B2-1)
The Advanced Course aims to develop smoother communication skills in Japanese while building students’ understanding of Japanese culture and appropriate uses of Japanese in a variety of situations.
Join us and take a step closer toward becoming an advanced Japanese speaker!
In Term 1 of the Advanced Course, we aim to cover Topics 8 – 9 of the textbook “Marugoto: Japanese Language and Culture (Intermediate 2, B1)”.
Topic 8: “Forms of transport in my town” (Intermediate 2 B1 Textbook)
Topic 9: “The age of ninja and samurai” (Intermediate 2 B1 Textbook)
In Terms 2 to 4 of the Advanced Course, you will learn vocabulary and expressions applicable to selected topics, using learning resources based on topical issues and news in Japanese society. Furthermore, you will develop the skills to use Japanese appropriately in both formal and informal scenarios, as well as express your own thoughts about different subjects.
On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Scan quickly through long and complex texts, locating relevant details.
- Express their ideas and opinions with precision, and present and respond to complex lines of argument convincingly.
- Write clear, detailed texts on a variety of subjects related to their field of interest while synthesising and evaluating information and arguments from a number of sources.
- Summarise a wide range of factual and imaginative texts, commenting on and discussing contrasting points of view and the main themes
- Understand documentaries and the majority of films in standard dialect.
The following topics were covered in 2020:
- Language and Culture 1 The Age of Ninja and Samurai (Topic 9 of the textbook “Marugoto: Japanese Language and Culture (Intermediate 2, B1)”)
- Free time and leisure 1 Tokyo Olympics (Event volunteers)
- Society 1 Social Media and Societal Change
- Work and Professions Industries and “Co-existences”
- Life Consultation on life
- Travel and Transportation 1 Beyond experience tourism
- Shopping Problem Solving When Shopping
- Language and culture 2 Borderless Pop Culture
- Society 2 COVID-19 and the “New Normal”
- Education Learning and the Online Environment
- Free time and leisure 2 How to enjoy Japanese films
- Food and diet SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals) seen through “Washoku”
- 『まるごと中級２』より 言語と文化1「忍者、侍、その頃は･･･」
- 自由時間と娯楽１ 「東京オリンピック（イベントのボランティア）」
- 社会１ 「SNSが変える社会」
- 仕事と職業 「産業と『共生』」
- 生活と人生 「人は悩む」
- 旅行と交通 「『コト消費』の観光へ」
- 買い物 「ショッピングのトラブル解決」
- 言語と文化２ 「境界なきポップカルチャー」
- 社会2 「コロナと“新しい日常”」
- 教育 「学びとオンライン」
- 自由時間と娯楽２ 「日本映画の楽しみ方」
- 食生活 「和食から見るSDGs (持続可能な開発目標)」
Course Details in Term 1
$350/term + $20 administration fee*
* Students enrolling in the first term of the Starter course, and other new and returning students requiring a placement test will be charged a $20 non-refundable administration fee in addition to the $350 course fee when enrolling.
Please note that the course fee does not include textbooks.
Thursdays | January 28 – April 1, 2021
Taught by Keiko Nishiyama
To apply for the Advanced course, please email the J-Course team directly at jcourse(a)jpf.org.au, and include details of your Japanese language level. Please note that you will be required to take a level check test, which will be organised as soon as possible.
Classes will be held online in Term 1, 2021.
- a computer or laptop (operating systems: Windows 10 or 8.1 / Mac OS X 10.10 or later),
- the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge or Safari,
- headphones with a microphone,
- a web camera, and
- a stable internet connection, with at least a 1.2Mbps download speed and 600kbps upload speed. You can test your internet speed here.
Intermediate 2 Textbook $40 (One volume)
Textbook fees will be charged at the same time as the course fees in terms requiring a new textbook.
Students can choose to receive their textbook and supplementary materials via post or pick them up from The Japan Foundation, Sydney office.
まるごと, 日本のことばと文化. 中級2. B1.
Marugoto, Japanese language and culture. Intermediate 2. B1
The Japan Foundation
Terms 2 – 4
No prescribed textbook. Learning materials will be provided in class.