Advanced Course (B2-1)
The Advanced Course aims to develop smoother communication skills in Japanese while building students’ understanding of Japanese culture and appropriate uses of Japanese in a variety of situations. You will learn vocabulary and expressions applicable to selected topics, using learning resources based on topical issues and news in Japanese society. Furthermore, you will develop the skills to use their Japanese appropriately in both formal and informal scenarios, as well as express their own thoughts about different subjects.
Join us and take a step closer toward becoming an advanced Japanese speaker!
On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Scan quickly through long and complex texts, locating relevant details.
- Express their ideas and opinions with precision, and present and respond to complex lines of argument convincingly.
- Write clear, detailed texts on a variety of subjects related to their field of interest while synthesising and evaluating information and arguments from a number of sources.
- Summarise a wide range of factual and imaginative texts, commenting on and discussing contrasting points of view and the main themes
- Understand documentaries and the majority of films in standard dialect.
Term 2, 2020 Topics:
- Work and Professions Industries and “Co-existences”
- Life Consultation on life
- Travel and Transportation 1 Beyond experience tourism
The following topics were covered in Term 1, 2020:
- Language and Culture 1 “The Age of Ninja and Samurai” (Topic 9 of the textbook “Marugoto: Japanese Language and Culture (Intermediate 2, B1)”)
- Free time and leisure 1 “Tokyo Olympics (Event volunteers)”
- Society 1 “Social Media and Societal Change”
- 仕事と職業 「産業と『共生』」
- 生活と人生 「人は悩む」
- 旅行と交通 「『コト消費』の観光へ」
- 『まるごと中級２』より 言語と文化1「忍者、侍、その頃は･･･」
- 自由時間と娯楽１ 「東京オリンピック（イベントのボランティア）」
- 社会１ 「SNSが変える社会」
Course Details in Term 2
$280/term + $20 administration fee*
* New and returning students requiring a placement test will be charged a $20 non-refundable administration fee in addition to the $280 course fee when enrolling.
Course fees include the cost of materials distributed in class.
Thursdays | May 7 – July 2, 2020
Taught by Keiko Nishiyama
To apply for the Advanced course, please email the J-Course team directly at jcourse(a)jpf.org.au, and include details of your Japanese language level. Please note that you will be required to take a level check test, which will be organised as soon as possible.
Notes regarding the Term 2 schedule:
- Classes will be held online until the restrictions for COVID-19 have been lifted.
- The first week will be a 40 minute orientation session, including warm-up conversation practice.
- We will cover all topics planned for Term 2. However the final review lessons and test, which are usually scheduled for Weeks 9 and 10, will not be included in Term 2 this year.
There is no textbook for this course.