Advanced Course (B2-1)
The Advanced Course aims to develop smoother communication skills in Japanese while building students’ understanding of Japanese culture and appropriate uses of Japanese in a variety of situations. You will learn vocabulary and expressions applicable to selected topics, using learning resources based on topical issues and news in Japanese society. Furthermore, you will develop the skills to use their Japanese appropriately in both formal and informal scenarios, as well as express their own thoughts about different subjects.
Join us and take a step closer toward becoming an advanced Japanese speaker!
On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Scan quickly through long and complex texts, locating relevant details.
- Express their ideas and opinions with precision, and present and respond to complex lines of argument convincingly.
- Write clear, detailed texts on a variety of subjects related to their field of interest while synthesising and evaluating information and arguments from a number of sources.
- Summarise a wide range of factual and imaginative texts, commenting on and discussing contrasting points of view and the main themes
- Understand documentaries and the majority of films in standard dialect.
Term 1, 2019 Topics: TBA
*The following topics have been covered in 2018
- Human relations “ New meeting”
- Society 1 “Instagrammable”
- Work and profession “Roles of AI”
- Travel and transportation “ Beyond experience tourism”
- Life “Consultation on life”
- Nature and environment “After 11 March 2011”
- Shopping “Troubleshooting in shopping”
- Language and culture 1 “The ever-changing Japanese language”
- Society 2 “Working in Japan as a foreigner”
- Food and diet “Changes in food ~ What will become Japanese “gohan”?~
- Education “Black school regulations”
- Language and culture 2 “Japan’s new ending-industry”
- 社会「ソーシャルメディアが変える社会―SNS 映え」
- 買い物 「ショッピングのトラブル解決」
$375/term: New students
$350/term: Continuing students
Course fee includes materials fee.
Thursdays | February 7 – April 11, 2019
Taught by Keiko Nishiyama
To apply for the Advanced course, please email the J-Course team directly at jcourse(a)jpf.org.au, and include details of your Japanese language level. Please note that you will be required to take a level check test, which will be organised as soon as possible.
There is no textbook for this course.
2019 TERM DATES
Term 1: Feb 4 – Apr 13
Term 2: Apr 29 – Jul 6
Term 3: Jul 22 – Sep 28
Term 4: Oct 7 – Dec 14
* J-Course terms run for 10 weeks each. As Monday, 10 June and 7 October are NSW public holidays, class will not run on these days but will be held instead on Friday, 15 June and 11 October respectively.
Photo: Brett Boardman