This course aims to prepare students to confidently:
- Communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar topics and activities.
- Describe one’s routine, work, learning experience, etc. in simple terms.
- Find specific information in simple everyday material such as personal letters and brochures.
- Write short, simple messages and fill in application forms in areas of essential need.
Aki (First) Term
Topics 7 and 8: ”れきしと 文化の 町 (A town rich in history and culture)” and “せいかつと エコ (Life and eco-friendly activities)”
Fuyu (Second) Term
Topic 9 (Elementary 2) “じんせい (People’s lives)” and Topic 1 (Pre-Intermediate) ”スポーツの試合 (Sports games)”
Haru (Third) Term
Topics 2, 3 and 4: ”家をさがす (Looking for a house)”, “ほっとする食べ物 (My comfort food)” and ”訪問 (Visiting someone)”
Natsu (Fourth) Term
Topics 5, 6 and 7: ”ことばを学ぶ楽しみ (The pleasure of learning other languages)”, ”結婚 (Wedding and marriage)” and ”なやみ相談 (Talking about personal problems)”
If you would like to learn more about what is covered in each topic of the Marugoto Elementary 2 textbooks or if you are interested in previewing the content covered in our classes, please visit the Marugoto Plus website: MARUGOTO Plus (Elementary2 A2)-Japanese Learning Site (marugotoweb.jp)
Pre-Intermediate Natsu Term
$350/term + $20 administration fee*
* New and returning students requiring a placement test will be charged a $20 non-refundable administration fee in addition to the $350 course fee when enrolling.
Please note that the course fee does not include textbooks.
Saturdays | January 20 – March 23, 2024
Taught by Yukiko Fukumoto
Tuesdays | January 16 – March 19, 2024
Taught by Shoko Ono
In person (Classroom 1)
In person: Min. 7 / Max. 12 (classroom 1) or 14 (seminar room)
Online: Min. 7 / Max. 14
Online classes will be held via Zoom video conferencing. You can join a test meeting at https://zoom.us/test.
- a computer or laptop (operating systems: Windows 10 or 8.1 / Mac OS X 10.10 or later),
- the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge or Safari,
- headphones with a microphone,
- a web camera, and
- a stable internet connection, with at least a 1.2Mbps download speed and 600kbps upload speed. You can test your internet speed here.
Elementary 2 Textbooks $40 (Two volumes)
Pre-Intermediate Textbook $30 (One volume)
*Textbook varies by term as students progress through the course. Please contact J-Course administration regarding which books are currently necessary for the course.
Textbook fees will be charged at the same time as the course fees in terms requiring a new textbook.
Students can choose to receive their textbooks and supplementary materials via post or pick them up from The Japan Foundation, Sydney office.
まるごと, 日本のことばと文化. 初級2. A2, かつどう
まるごと, 日本のことばと文化. 初級2. A2, りかい
Marugoto, Japanese language and culture. Elementary 2. A2, Coursebook for communicative language activities
The Japan Foundation 2014
Marugoto, Japanese language and culture. Elementary 2. A2, Coursebook for communicative language competences
The Japan Foundation 2014
まるごと, 日本のことばと文化. 初中級. A2/B1
Marugoto, Japanese language and culture. Pre-Intermediate. A2/B1
The Japan Foundation 2015