This course aims to prepare students to:
- Handle short social exchanges on topics pertinent to one’s everyday life.
- Use a series of simple phrases and sentences to talk about one’s family, living conditions, educational background and present/recent job.
- Find specific, predictable information in simple, everyday material such as advertisements.
- Write about things that one did, places one went to on a particular day in a series of simple phrases and sentences.
Aki (First) Term
Topics 2 and 3: “きせつと てんき (Season and weather)” and “わたしの まち (My Town)”
Fuyu (Second) Term
Topics 4 and 5: “でかける (Going out)” and “ がいこくごと がいこくぶんか (Languages and culture of other countries)”
Haru (Third) Term
Topics 6 and 7: “そとで たべる (Eating outdoor)” and “しゅっちょう (Business trip)”
Topics 8 and 9: “けんこう (Staying healthy)” and “おいわい (Celebrations)”
If you would like to learn more about what is covered in each topic, or if you are interested in previewing the content covered in our classes, please visit the Marugoto Plus website: MARUGOTO Plus (Elementary1 A2) (marugotoweb.jp)
Elementary 1 Haru Term
$350/term + $20 administration fee*
* New and returning students requiring a placement test will be charged a $20 non-refundable administration fee in addition to the $350 course fee when enrolling.
Please note that the course fee does not include textbooks.
Tuesdays | October 3 – December 5, 2023
Taught by Yunjing Zheng
Thursdays | October 5 – December 7, 2023
Taught by Keiko Nishiyama
In person (Classroom 1)
In person: Min. 7 / Max. 12 (classroom 1) or 14 (seminar room)
Online: Min. 7 / Max. 14
Online classes will be held via Zoom video conferencing. You can join a test meeting at https://zoom.us/test.
- a computer or laptop (operating systems: Windows 10 or 8.1 / Mac OS X 10.10 or later),
- the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge or Safari,
- headphones with a microphone,
- a web camera, and
- a stable internet connection, with at least a 1.2Mbps download speed and 600kbps upload speed. You can test your internet speed here.
Textbooks used in this course
Elementary 1 [A2] (Two volumes): $40
*Textbook varies by term as students progress through the course. Please contact J-Course administration regarding which books are currently necessary for this course.
Textbook fees will be charged at the same time as the course fees in terms requiring a new textbook.
Students can choose to receive their textbooks and supplementary materials via post or pick them up from The Japan Foundation, Sydney office.
まるごと, 日本のことばと文化. 初級1. A2, かつどう
まるごと, 日本のことばと文化. 初級1. A2, りかい
Marugoto, Japanese language and culture. Elementary 1. A2, Coursebook for communicative language activities
The Japan Foundation 2014
Marugoto, Japanese language and culture. Elementary 1. A2, Coursebook for communicative language competences
The Japan Foundation 2014