10 Week Taster Course (A1)
Would you like to communicate with Japanese people by saying more than just “arigatoo” (“thank you”)?
This is a practical course, designed for absolute beginners, where you will develop basic speaking and listening skills in Japanese. Additionally, you will discuss Japanese culture and share your experiences based on the class topics (Greetings, Food, Towns and Shopping) to deepen your knowledge of Japan.
Once you have completed this course, you will be able to:
- Exchange basic greetings
- Give a simple self-introduction
- Order food and drinks
- Ask for directions while looking at a map
- Ask questions while shopping etc.
- Japanese scripts (hiragana and katakana) are introduced for the purpose of pronunciation but are not taught in this course. This is also a suitable warm-up course for those considering learning Japanese in the long-term.
- Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, this course will be held online for Term 4.
- Applications are open to anyone in Oceania.
If you are interested in previewing the content covered in our classes, please visit the Marugoto Plus website: https://a1.marugotoweb.jp/en/
This cost is all inclusive, and includes the cost of the textbook.
Term 4 schedule
Wednesdays | October 7 – December 9, 2020
Taught by Yongsuk Song
Saturdays | October 10 – December 12, 2020
Taught by Yunjing Zheng
This class consists of 10 lessons held once a week. Classes will be held online via video conference.
- a computer or laptop (operating systems: Windows 10 or 8.1 / Mac OS X 10.10 or later),
- the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge or Safari,
- headphones with a microphone,
- a web camera, and
- a stable internet connection, with at least a 1.2Mbps download speed and 600kbps upload speed. You can test your internet speed here.
$15 (One volume)
The textbook fee is included in the course fee bundle for this course.
Students will receive their textbook and supplementary materials via post.
まるごと, 日本のことばと文化. 入門. A1, かつどう
Marugoto, Japanese language and culture. Starter A1, Coursebook for communicative language activities
The Japan Foundation
Published by Sanshusha