JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test)
About the JLPT
The Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) is the largest-scale Japanese language test in the world. Since 1984, the Japan Foundation and Japan Educational Exchanges and Services have continued to offer the JLPT as a reliable means of evaluating the Japanese proficiency of non-native speakers. The JLPT is widely recognised across corporate and government sectors as a benchmark for proficiency measurement, and is also a strong motivator for students of Japanese language.
• The December 2020 Test has been cancelled in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney due to COVID-19.
• The December Test is not held in Canberra.
- N1, N2 and N3 ⇒ $95 Test fee + $6.31 Eventbrite booking fee.
- N4 and N5 ⇒ $85 Test fee + $5.76 Eventbrite booking fee.
All prices are inclusive of GST.
The Eventbrite booking fee is non-refundable.
The Test Guide is mandatory reading
- Australia-specific information is at the beginning, on pages (i – iv).
- Contains useful information about dates, procedure, sections, scoring, expected timing, how to fill in answer sheets, etc.
- Disregard references to photograph submission and paper applications. The JLPT in Australia accepts online applications only. Paper or postal applications are not allowed.
Applications for the December JLPT in Australia have closed
- Test Voucher
Sent by EMAIL approximately 1 month before the Test. Please wait until November 13 (Fri) before contacting (email@example.com) regarding missing Vouchers.
- Amendment of examinee details
Contact the local Host Institution and The Japan Foundation, Sydney (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible to amend personal details supplied at the time of application. Any self-amendments to the online application form, after the application deadline, are disregarded.
- Postal address corrections
Notify your Host Institution as soon as possible and at least 7 days before the result certificate(s) are posted.
Special Testing Accommodations (STA)
- Applicants with an impairment or disability may request STA.
- Registration and payment for the JLPT must be completed first.
- There is a specific question on the application form regarding STA and affected applicants should select “Yes, I need STA…” as the answer.
- After application is complete, additional STA forms must be downloaded from the link on this page.
- Read “Instruction for requesting STA” carefully.
- Prepare your medical certificate/s to support your STA request.
- Complete “Requesting form for STA”.
- Send 6. & 7. to email@example.com by October 7, 2020 (Wed).
**Strictly NO late submissions will be accepted**
STA applications are now closed.
(02) 8239 0055