How old do I have to be to join J-Course?
You must be at least 18 years old.
When are the classes?
Evening classes run Mondays to Thursdays from 6pm – 8pm. Morning classes run on Saturdays and selected weekdays from 10am – 12pm.
For class days and times, please refer to the individual course pages found here.
How much are the classes?
Can I get a refund?
Refunds will be offered if classes do not run due to low enrolment. Unfortunately, we cannot offer refunds if you choose not to continue with J-Course mid-term.
Can I change my course/class after it has started?
Yes, if your teacher approves the change and if there are places available in your new class of choice. Please contact jcourse(A)jpf.org.au link on the right sidebar first.
* Please note that a $50 administration fee will be charged for changes made after the first two weeks of term.
What happens if I cannot attend a class?
Substitute classes are available for courses that run more than 2 classes in the same class week.
Here is how to request a substitute:
- Send an email to J-Course to request attendance in the alternative class.
- For an evening course, do this by 2pm on the day of the class. For a morning course, do this by 2pm on the day before the class.
- Receive confirmation from us.
- You cannot join a substitute class without an email confirmation from the J-Course Team.
- As places are limited, we cannot always guarantee you a place in a substitute class.
- Each participant is permitted to request up to 4 substitute classes per term.
I want to become a Japan Foundation, Sydney member. Do I have to register for this separately?
No, you do not need to register separately. You will automatically become a JPF member for 12 months on your first enrolment. You will receive your membership card during your first day of class.
As a JPF member, if you continue the J-Course into the following term, you will be entitled to an early-bird discount on your course fee. In addition, you will have access to VIP invitations to our cultural/art exhibition openings and the best prices for tickets at the Japanese Film Festival. For more details, please click here.
If I am enrolled in J-Course, what will happen to my JPF membership?
While you are a J-Course participant, you will automatically receive free JPF membership renewal every 12 months.
Is there a certificate once I complete the course?
If you have attended at least 80% of the classes in a term, you will receive a certificate of attendance at the end of the term.
If you are interested in an official certification of your Japanese language proficiency, please visit the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) website by clicking here.